By Urvi Babaria
Some people are naturally blessed with long silky, shiny, straight hair and some have Curly hair. Well I am not saying that we are not blessed, I have never felt that I am not blessed just because I don’t have straight hair. But sometimes in your life you might have felt that to grow long curly hair is pain in the ass. Trust me by the time it reach certain Length it either stops growing or we have to cut them short because of spit ends and other damages. It’s so easy for girls with straight and wavy hair types to grow waist length hair and it feels eternity for curly hair to reach there.
SO now the question is: is it impossible for curly hair people to dream of becoming Rapunzel? Well no, it’s not at all impossible to grow long curly hair but along with the length we want it to be healthy too, so I am sharing 3 most effective home remedies which will not only help our hair to grow but it will reduce hair fall and dandruff issues too.
Sometimes i really feel that i should just start writing the remedies that you are here for. I actually do that whenever i read something, i directly skipping to the point of my interest. But i realize that i was doing a mistake by not reading it entirely, sometimes a small detail or small point of that article is more meaningful and helpful to me then the entire content so from that day onwards i started reading the article thoroughly and you should read how to grow long curly hair properly 😉
Theory Behind Hair Growth:
We all had the basic knowledge that our hair is made up of keratin protein. The root of a hair follicle is made of this protein. And when blood reaches this cell it starts growing. Not only that, but it also helps in creating new cells and make them grow. Hair starts forming and it pushes the skin as it grows, it passes through sebaceous glands (sebum) which keeps it shiny and moisturized. But by the time it’s out and starts getting long it’s considered as dead. Yes our hair dyes when it comes out from our scalp. Strange ha! Still we have to take care of it. That’s way you can easily cut it as you won’t feel a thing. But there is a definite cycle of Hair growth. An average human shade 50-100 hair strands every day. This is because after certain year our follicles stops growing and it takes rest. And at that time the weaker once will start shading form our scalp.
Does Our Hair Grow In The Same Rate?
No it doesn’t. Just like different people have different hair growth similarly our own scalp produces hair at different rates. That’s why we need to trim and cut to maintain the shape of our hair. How to grow long curly hair rate largely depends on the amount of blood circulation reaching your scalp and also the food you intake. The more healthy habits you have the faster your hair will grow.
What Affects Our Hair Growth?
There are certain factors that can affect our hair growth cycle. Genetics, hormonal imbalance, certain medications, thyroid problems, diet, pollution, stress, low protein or protein deficiency, ageing, more exposure of sun, other nutritional deficiency etc. there is more to this list so if you have serious hair fall issues I will suggest you to visit a Dermatologist or Trichologists who are hair and scalp specialists.
Now if you are not suffering from serious health related issues try out the recipes mentioned below for faster hair growth.
Onion juice/ onion mask is quite famous and effective home remedy for hair growth. This is the first most thing pops into my head when anyone complains about hair fall or need more hair growth.
What you’ll need?
To make an onion paste you’ll need 1 onion (preferably yellow) that’s it. Yes that’s all you need to make this paste.
How to make and use an onion mask?
- The first recipe is really simple and easy to make:
- Grind the onion in the juicer/grate it with a greater.
- Strain the juice using a muslin cloth and pour the juice in an empty bottle.
- Massage it directly on your scalp with a cotton boll or using your fingers and leave that mask for an hour or two.
- Wear a shower cap to heat up the mask a little, which helps to open your closed pores.
- Wash it with luck warm water after an hour or two, followed by your shampoo and conditioner and styling routine.
- For better and faster results use his mask twice a week.
- The 2nd recipe goes something like this:
- For the 2nd recipe you’ll need 1 onion and 2 garlic cloves.
- Grind them together or grate them with a greater.
- Strain the mixture in an empty container/ empty bottle.
- Massage the mixture directly on the scalp.
- Wear a shower cap and let it sit for 1-2 hours.
- Wash it with luck warm water, followed by your shampoo and conditioner and styling routine.
Benefits of onion mask:
There are tons of benefits that you can get from this mask. Seriously I can write an entire article on it to grow long curly hair, it’s filled with sulfur, potassium, tannin, biotin, polyphenol, copper, vitamin b6, manganese, vitamin b1, vitamin C, flavonoids etc. this all has its own benefits. But the best thing that you can get from ONIONS AND GARLIC is SULFUR. I’ll tell you in brief what benefits you can get form this:
- Sulfur acts as antibacterial, antifungals for scalp.
- This mask cures dandruff problem (as dandruff is a type of fungus).
- Sulfur in onions and garlic acts as a stimulant and it boost blood circulation, this intense blood circular helps to grow your hair thicker and it even wakes up sleepy hair follicles.
- It even reduces hair fall.
- Onion juice also cures premature graying.
- Research has proved that it even cures alopecia, hair thinning, other types of scalp irritation.
Common now what more do you want?
Drawbacks of onion mask:
There aren’t any drawbacks of this mask until and unless you are allergic to onions and garlic. But I have heard complaints from girls using it, “that onion smell is hard to remove”. But fear not my love, you can always add some Essential oils to this mask and make it more effective and less stinky. The best one will be Rosemary Essential oil.
Other things that you can mix with your onion mask are: Aloe Vera juice/Pulp, olive oil, coconut oil, honey and castor oil to make it little extra. But in my case onion alone is more than enough 😉
METHI (FENUGREEK) MASK
This is very famous in INDIA. It’s an Indian spice easily found in every Indian kitchen. If you are from India you might have heard about this mask from your mom’s and grand mom’s. Again it’s really simple but very effective recipe to grow long curly hair and for hall fall problems. And the bonus factor about this mask is, it’s super moisturizing too. So you can use this mask as a PRE POO and even as DEEP CONDITIONER.
What you’ll need?
To make this mask you’ll need fenugreek seeds/ powder, curd/yogurt, aloe vera juice, organic honey and plain water.
How to make and use Fenugreek hair mask?
1. For the first recipe you’ll need Fenugreek seeds/powder, Curd/plain yogurt and distilled water
- Take two table spoons of fenugreek seeds in a bowl; fill water in it until they are all soaked.
- Leave the mixture for 8-10 hours (overnight)
- Grind the seeds in the morning to make a thick fine paste. Use more water if needed.
- Mix 2 table spoons of curd/yogurt to this mixture.(you can add more if you have long hair)
- In case of powder – there is no need to soak it overnight just make a paste with 2 table spoons of fenugreek powder and 2 table spoons of curd. Use more water to make it creamy.
- Once the mixture is ready strain it with a strainer (make sure it has medium holes in it).
- Apply this mixture on scalp and hair. It has amazing slip so it will be easy for you to detangle too. (you can even damp your hair if you want before applying this mask)
- Keep this mixture for 45 mins – 1 hour.
- Use heat to open the closed cuticles.
- Rinse it with Luke warm water. Shampoo / co wash and style.
- Use this mask once a week.
2. For the 2nd mask, you’ll need Fenugreek seeds/powder, honey and Aloe Vera juice. The recipe is almost similar to the first one.
- Soak 2 table spoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Grind the mixture in the morning and strain it with a strainer.
- Mix 1 table spoon organic honey and 3 table spoon of Aloe Vera juice in it.
- Make a fine creamy paste. Add more juice if needed.
- Follow the rest of the steps as mentioned in the above recipe.
- Wash and style as usual.
- Use this mask once a week.
(The amount of fenugreek seeds can vary from person to person if you have short hair one table spoon will be enough)
Benefits of fenugreek hair mask:
The most amazing benefit of this mask is: it’s multifunctional. It not only helps the blood circulation and to grow long curly hair process but its super moisturizing too. It has high amount of protein and nicotinic acid content, which are known to be beneficial against hair fall and dandruff issues. It even strengthens the hair shafts and prevents breakage. The other benefits that you can get from this paste are:
- It’s useful to cure hair fall and dandruff issues.
- It even acts as deep conditioner leaving our hair moisturized and soft.
- It helps to reducing frizz and it’s a great detangler.
- It cures bald patches.
- It’s even helpful if you have dry and itchy scalp
- It adds shine to your curls.
- And if you have wavy curly hair it will even give a defined shape to your wonky curls.
Drawbacks of Fenugreek hair mask:
To be honest there is no major drawback of this mask, except it is little difficult to remove. So always use luke warm water for easy removal of this mask and if the bits still stays in your curls then follow it by a co wash/sulfate free mild shampoo.
There are certain other things that you can add to this mask, you can add: coconut oil, almond oil, aloe vera gel, lime juice, coconut milk, etc. these all have its own benefits. One more thing, it’s quite interesting, this methi (fenugreek mask) can be used on face too. Yes it’s amazing for skin too but will discuss about it in another article ;
JAMAICAN BLACK CASTOR OIL
O.K.! This one is defiantly not a mask or something that you can have in your kitchen, this one you have to purchase it. I know oil and curly hair has kind of debatable relationship, some people likes it some don’t. Well I am born and bought up in India and I know the importance of oils. My hair has been oiled for 15 years of my life and they were most healthy and full at that time, then time changes and I didn’t bothered much about my hair. But now I do, and so I am sharing with you the 3rd most effective home remedy to grow long curly hair and for hair re-growth and hair fall problems is Jamaican Black Caster Oil.
You can use this oil in 3 different ways. You can use it as a Mask, as Pre Poo and as Deep conditioner. You can either mix it with your home made hair mask or any other oil of your choice or you can directly apply it to your scalp. I personally like to apply it directly on my scalp and give it a good champii. (Hair massage in Hindi). Do this treatment over night or at least for 2 hours for best results. Do it regularly, like twice a week.
Difference between castor oil and Jamaican black castor oil:
- There are two types of castor oils available in the market. CASTOR OIL and JAMAICAN BLACK CASTOR OIL.
- Both oils are extracted from the seeds of the castor oil plant but both are differently made. Hence both contain different properties and benefits.
- Castor oil is pale yellow and lil transparent in color, whereas Jamaican black castor oil is thick and dark brown in color.
- Castor oil is extracted from seeds and its cold pressed.
- While Jamaican black castor oil is made in a different way. Here seeds are roasted first and then crushed in a mortar. Than they add water to it and then they boil this crushed beans on wood fire.
Why Jamaican black castor oil?
- It has antibacterial and moisturizing properties.
- It prevents hair fall and dandruff issues.
- The omega fatty acids in Jamaican black castor oil increases blood flow to the scalp which boosts our hair growth.
- It even prevents unnecessary breakage and strengthens hair shafts.
Where to get Jamaican black castor oil?
It’s mostly available online, but choose wisely. The best quality products are:
- Tropic isle Jamaican black castor oil.
- Sunny isle Jamaican black castor oil.
All righty then, Lets warp this up. There are more home remedies to grow long curly hair which I’ll cover in my next article. And one last important thing, don’t expect instant results at least give it 6 months and do it with your heart. You’ll defiantly see lot of difference in your hair. Track your hair growth through pictures to find weather it worked for you or not. And eat healthy and be happy 🙂